.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Phil's Blog

A little less conversation.

My Photo
Name:Phillip Chin

Location:Oakland, California, United States

Happiness = Reality/Expectations

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Doing laundry in San Francisco

I just have to say that I've come to the conclusion that San Francisco people are strange. I'm still waiting for the rest of my clothes to arrive from NYC later this week in the mail. I was running low on clean clothes so I had to do laundry today. There's a laundry room in the basement of the place where I'm staying but one of the washing machines is busted. Plus, I prefer those industral front loading washing machines. The top loading ones suck. They never get your clothes really clean. Fortunately, there's a small laundrymat across the street from me.

So I go across the street with my laundry bag to do my laundry. At first, I thought that the place was completely empty but then some old chinese dude came out from behind some door. He said, "Hi.", then left shortly afterwards. Now, my friend, Joon, told me about this a while back but I didn't really believe him. For laundrymats in San Francisco, there's usually not a person there working full time watching the store. That's pretty crazy right? You wouldn't see anything like that in NYC or Philly. You would probably just come back to an empty store with no washers or dryers left. Maybe they might be nice and turn off the water before they leave. I guess San Francisco people are just very trusting or something. Maybe I need to open my own laundrymat in San Francisco.

For most of the time that I was there, I was the only one in the laundrymat. Then one or two people came in to throw their laundry into the washing machine but then left soon afterwards. I think that they thought that I was the odd one because I actually wanted to stay with my clothes to make sure that no one was going to steal them. So there I am thinking that they're strange and they're thinking that I'm strange and we're all having a strange fest. Hmm... I guess they've never seen Fight Club where Helen Bonham Carter needs some cash so she goes to the laundrymat to steal some wet clothes to sell to the thrift store.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home