.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Phil's Blog

A little less conversation.

My Photo
Name:Phillip Chin

Location:Oakland, California, United States

Happiness = Reality/Expectations

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Erhu no go and other stuff

I'm kind of bummed out. I called up earlier this week to sign up for erhu class this Saturday but I guess the erhu teacher fell off the face of the earth or something. The guy working there asked me for my name and number. Yeah... I'm sure he's gonna call me back real soon after I gave him my 646 cell phone number. Well... it's not like I've never had an erhu sitting around collecting dust before. I'm looking for some other weekend class to sign up for though. I was really looking forward to learning how to play the erhu though.

Earlier tonight, I had dinner at this cool hole-in-the-wall Vietnamese place across the street from my friend's place next to the Lumiere Theater. Well, they said that they were Vietnamese but everyone there spoke Cantonese and they had mapotofu on the menu. My friend wanted to grab some dinner. When we stepped out of his place in Polk Gulp and the wind was blowing in the right direction and we got this great wiff of grilled chicken. I was like, "What is the Rock cookin'?" My friend got some grilled chicken and I got the pork chops. Wow. That was a great place. Very simple... not a huge menu but what they have on the menu, they do it right.

Ok... I'm gonna steal this joke from this guy at work about where I'm staying at in San Francisco and we're my friend's living. I always thought that I was staying in Union Square... which is sort of true. It's on the border of Union Square where all of the theaters and hotels and galleries are, I guess. I'm like 4 blocks away from Macy's and Borders. I always thought that my friend lived in the Tenderloin. It was kind of a reasonable assumption after passing all of these transvestite hookers on my way home from his place at night. In actuality, he lives in what they refer to as Polk Gulp, bordering on the Tenderloin. I kind of live between Union Square, Nob Hill and the Tenderloin... or as this guy from work says - "the Tender Nob".

The other night, my friend and I went to his favorite 24 hour donut place in his neighborhood. I think it's owned by these korean people. My friend is a regular there and knows the korean lady who works there. At around 11 o'clock at night, they make the French Crullers. That is my favorite donut. I got two French Crullers with chocolate on top and a pint milk. Really good stuff. I could tell that a lot of love went into making those donuts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home